Monday, May 26, 2014

Blended [2014]

MPAA (PG-13)  CNS/USCCB (A-II)  ChicagoTribune (1 1/2 Stars)  RE.com (1 1/2 Stars)  AVClub (C-

As part of my contribution in our parish's participation in the Archdiocese of Chicago's Campaign "To Teach Who Christ Is," I've decided to forgo seeing (and therefore reviewing here) one or two movies a weekend and instead contribute the money I would have spent to the campaign.

I'm trying to be strategic about this, picking movies that would "hurt somewhat" to miss, that is, films that are not "so bad" that I wouldn't see them anyway nor movies that I really would need to see/review or else my blogging effort would cease to be worthwhile.

As per my custom, I will try to provide links to usual line-up of reviews that I also consider as I write my own.

This week, the film I chose not to see / review here is the Adam Sandler vehicle Blended [2014].  Readers of my blog will know that I've actually been kinder to Adam Sandler's films (That's My Boy [2011]) than many / most reviewers.  IMHO his films often have a rather positive message even if that message is often lost in a swamp of rather juvenile jokes and crudity.  It would seem that this film is somewhat different as even reviewer for the CNS/USCCB (the U.S. Catholic Bishops media office) give the film an A-II (appropriate for adults and adolescents) rating that the "L" (limited adult audience) or "O" (offensive) ratings that have graced recent Sandler films.  More mainstream critics still give the film somewhat predictably low marks.  Casablanca [1942] or African Queen [1951] this film apparently is not ... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment